Archive - News Article
April 30th, 2013
BY JOSEPH B. NADEAU
WOONSOCKET â€“ A fire, possibly fueled by the areaâ€™s dry conditions, heavily damaged a single-family home at 133 Spring Water Drive Tuesday afternoon.
The fire, discovered by neighbors at about 2:15 p.m. appeared to have begun near the front section of the home and consumed a deck porch and front exterior wall before firefighters arrived on scene.
CUMBERLAND â€“ The townâ€™s plan to merge its four independent fire districts reaches a major milestone Wednesday when the Town Council votes to ask state lawmakers to approve the incorporation of a unified town fire district.
The state-approved incorporation would include the creation of a seven-member interim appointed fire committee by June 30 to govern and manage the finances of the unified fire district until a permanent committee is elected next year.
The council meeting begins at 7:30 p.m. at Town Hall, 45 Broad St.
WOONSOCKET â€“ Police used explosives to render a suspicious backpack found behind the Cass Avenue home of a Muslim family harmless on Saturday but now believe the left-behind item was not a hate-crime response to the terror-bombing of the Boston Marathon.
The backpack, which had a reference to â€śU.S. Bombâ€ť among its several marking, contained items believed to have been stolen and is not believed to have been left as a threat to anyone, Detective Jamie L. Paone, Woonsocket Police Department spokeswoman, said yesterday afternoon.
CUMBERLAND â€“ A family of beavers who faced being trapped and killed for causing tree damage and flooding at Diamond Hill Park has been granted a stay of execution.
After initially stating that he was considering having a local exterminator kill the beavers, Parks and Recreation Director Michael Crawley says that plan has been scrapped â€“ at least for now.
You could drive a golf ball to the Massachusetts line from the front door of Proâ€™s Liquors on Mendon Road in Woonsocket.
No wonder the owner is so worried about the competition on the other side of the border, where thereâ€™s no sales tax on alcoholic beverages.
WOONSOCKET â€“ Local fireworks retailers say while it is indeed possible to make a bomb if you harvest enough gunpowder from certain fireworks, they donâ€™t believe their wares are a threat to public safety.
A New Hampshire fireworks store has told the FBI that it sold $400 worth of fireworks in February to accused Boston bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who reportedly used gunpowder from two "Lock and Load" re-loadable mortar kits to make the explosives that killed three people and wounded more than 180 others on April 15.
State Senator Donna Nesselbush (D-Pawtucket) the lead sponsor of the senate's same sex marriage bill, reacts after the senate approves the measure with a vote of 26-12 on the Senate floor late Wednesday afternoon. Final approval is expected next week by the House, when Governor Chafee is expected to sign the bill into law, effective August 1, 2013. (Photo/Ernest A. Brown)
WOONSOCKET â€“ Pledging an â€śextremely creative and boldâ€ť approach to solving the cityâ€™s financial problems, State Rep. Lisa Baldelli Hunt (D-Woonsocket) announced sheâ€™s running for mayor Tuesday, ending the speculation about her plans.
She told The Call that the city needs a stronger leader who can erase the financial uncertainty lingering over taxpayers and do more to retain and attract businesses to the city.
WOONSOCKET â€“ A city man was sentenced to 30 years Tuesday after a Superior Court jury convicted him of multiple counts of child molestation recently.
Anibal Acevedo was ordered to serve 20 years at the Adult Correctional Institutions, followed by 10 years suspended time and probation.
BLACKSTONE â€“ Town health officials Sunday abruptly closed the Blackstone Nursing & Rehabilitation Center and ordered the evacuation and relocation of the nursing homeâ€™s 25 residents after it was discovered the Butler Street facility had been without heat and hot water since Thursday afternoon.
Town officials were tipped off about conditions at the facility after the daughter of one resident went to visit her mother Sunday and saw her and other residents sitting around wearing coats and eating off paper plates. The facility had no heat or hot water due to a cracked boiler plate.