Skip to main content

House blaze claims life of pet dog

February 20, 2014

WOONSOCKET – An elderly couple escaped without injury when a two-alarm fire broke out in their Oak Grove bungalow Wednesday night, but their pet dog perished in the smoky blaze.

Delbert Senecal, 68, and his wife, Claire, 66, fled their home at 220 Larch St. shortly before 9 p.m. Neighbors tried entering the burning house to save the French Bulldog known as Bibbit, but they were turned back by heavy smoke, said Leo Marcoux, who lives across the street.
“The black smoke was pouring out,” said Marcoux. “We just couldn’t get in there.”

Crippled and blind, Bibbit – the name means “Little Bug” in French – had been a cherished member of the Senecal household for years, family members said. As she drove by her sister’s scorched house on the way to work Thursday, Sue Burman of Wakefield said she had just gotten off the phone with her sibling.

“She’s devastated,” Burman said.

The Senecals were staying with their daughter in North Smithfield, according to Burman.

Full story appears on page A1 of Friday's Call.

WOONSOCKET  –  Mount St. Charles got off to a great start in its own Holiday Face...
  As is always the case following a Christmas Day full of gift-giving, unwrapping, eating...
WOONSOCKET — Earlier this month, Mount Saint Charles Academy’s volleyball coach, Josh...
WOONSOCKET – Two men were hospitalized with stab wounds, and a third was detained for questioning after an altercation...
Editor’s note: This is the first in a multi-story series looking back at the memorable events of 2014. Whether it was...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes