Skip to main content

Judge reduces bail for child molester

April 17, 2014

UXBRIDGE – A Worcester Superior Court judge Tuesday reduced bail for a 62-year-old registered sex offender and Uxbridge resident who won $10 million in the Massachusetts State Lottery five years ago and was arrested again recently in town.
At a bail hearing Tuesday, Judge James Lemire reduced bail for Daniel T. Snay from $5 million to $50,000. He will also be placed on GPS monitoring and was ordered to stay away from all children under 16.
Snay, 62, of 558 Elmwood Avenue, was arraigned last month on new charges that he sexually assaulted a boy over a four-year period, police said.
Snay was arrested by Uxbridge police and charged with indecent assault and battery on a child under the age of 14 subsequent offense, reckless endangerment of a child, enticement of a child and dissemination of pornography to a minor.
According to Uxbridge Police Chief Jeffrey A. Lourie, the alleged new crimes committed by Snay, who is currently registered in Massachusetts as a Level 3 sex offender, occurred over a four year period and involved a boy – now 16 - who was between the ages of 8 and 14 when the incidents took place.
Snay made headlines in 2008 when he won $10 million in the Massachusetts State Lottery’s after buying a $20 “Billion Dollar Blockbuster” scratch ticket at the Cumberland Farms in Hopedale. Snay’s lottery payout is $500,000 a year for the next 20 years.
Snay won the lottery in the middle of January of 2008, but spent two weeks consulting with his lawyer before claiming his prize. He did not immediately tell lottery officials that he was a convicted Level 3 sex offender. They found out when upset citizens contacted them.
Lourie said the lottery windfall aided the commission of the newest crimes by helping Snay gain favor with people.
According to the chief, the department had been receiving reports from residents who were concerned about Snay’s close contact with children and that it was only recently that someone came forward followed by a complaint to the state Department of Children and Families. Snay was arrested a short time later.
Snay’s record of sexual assaults dates to 1974 when he received a one-year suspended sentence for indecent assault and battery on a child under 14. He violated probation and was sent to jail for a year.
Then two years later in 1976, Snay was sentenced to serve five to seven years in state prison after he was convicted of indecent assault and battery on a child under 14.

PROVIDENCE – Kris Dunn did everything short of taking the tickets and selling the popcorn...
BURRILLVILLE – When Burrillville High quarterback Isaiah DeSilva helped his team cap an...
CUMBERLAND — As a history teacher at Cumberland High School, Andy Tuetken has seen...
WOONSOCKET – The two animal control officers who had been placed on administrative leave earlier this month amid...
With the Blizzard of 2015 headed out to sea, the clouds gave way to partial sun just after 9:30 Wednesday morning, a...
PROVIDENCE – With the Blizzard of 2015 shaping as one of the most damaging on record, Gov. Gina Raimondo on Monday...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes