Skip to main content

Judge allows Tempest to argue for new trial

June 13, 2014

WOONSOCKET – A Superior Court judge has decided that Raymond D. Tempest Jr. will be allowed to argue that his 1992 murder conviction should be vacated after his lawyers told the court new DNA evidence from hair the victim was clutching in her hand came from someone other than him.

Tempest, 61, is serving 85 years for the 1982 bludgeoning murder of Doreen C. Picard, 22, in the basement of a multifamily house on Providence Street.

Judge Daniel Procaccini brushed aside the arguments of state prosecutors who opposed Tempest’s amended motion for post-conviction relief. They told Procaccini they face an unfair burden in overcoming the defendant’s case because key witnesses from the trial are no longer alive.

The judge’s decision doesn’t mean that Tempest’s conviction is vacated or that he is entitled to a new trial. It means his lawyers are entitled to argue the merits of the new evidence during a full-blown hearing and that state prosecutors may offer rebuttal.

Full story appears on page A1 of Saturday's Call.

BURRILLVILLE  –  Super Bowl Sunday is the pinnacle of the sporting world, and...
PROVIDENCE – Every March, Big East teams converge upon Madison Square Garden for a little...
SMITHFIELD  –  The Northmen took advantage of four goals each in the first two...
WOONSOCKET – A Superior Court hearing on Raymond D. Tempest Jr.’s bid to void his 1992 conviction in the grisly murder...
WOONSOCKET – The two animal control officers who had been placed on administrative leave earlier this month amid...
With the Blizzard of 2015 headed out to sea, the clouds gave way to partial sun just after 9:30 Wednesday morning, a...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes