Skip to main content

Cumberland American absorbs first loss of summer

August 5, 2014

C.J. Davock allowed two runs (one earned) in four innings on the mound for Cumberland American on Tuesday afternoon. Fairfield (Conn.) American became the first squad to defeat CALL this summer after posting a 5-3 “walk-off” victory. PHOTO BY ERNEST A. BROWN

BRISTOL, Conn.  –  Cumberland American’s All-Stars had inflicted a lot of pain to opponents with three walk-off hits on their road here to the A. Bartlett Giamatti Little League Leadership Training Center.

On Tuesday afternoon, they shockingly were on the receiving end.

In a nip-and-tuck contest, Fairfield American of Connecticut’s Jamie Flink rocketed a two-run, two-out blast over the left-field fence to deliver to his club a crazy 5-3 triumph over the Rhode Islanders in a pool-play contest of the New England Regional Tournament at Breen Field.

With stellar hurler Addison Kopack on the hill and the score knotted at 3-3 in the back half of the sixth, Brian Kiremidjian drew a leadoff pass, but No. 9 batter Trey Hensel flew to right for the first out. John Reynolds then reached on a fielder’s choice, and Flink pummeled his dramatic dinger on Kopack’s initial offering to propel Fairfield to a 3-1 mark at the event.

In the process, it also clinched the No. 1 seed, while Cumberland is now in line to wrap up the second with a victory over Williston, Vt. Today at 1 p.m. (also on NESN).

For complete story, see Wednesday's Call

View more articles in:
CUMBERLAND – There are no scheduled royalty payments, nor is Dave Belisle being gifted...
CUMBERLAND – Tom Kenwood has spent decades helping in the organization of the annual...
CUMBERLAND – Bobby Hartnett made a triumphant return to his hometown on the Fourth of July morning...
WOONSOCKET – Who runs the city? That seemed to be the question – still unanswered – as members of the City Council met...
LINCOLN — Divers and emergency personnel pulled up what they believed was the body of a man reported missing at Olney...
BELLINGHAM — It's a case that has haunted investigators in Bellingham and Franklin for more than three decades.


Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes