Skip to main content

Police nab 3 men in connection with Feb. 23 home invasion

March 9, 2011

CUMBERLAND – Three local men who allegedly committed the Overhill Road home invasion last month in which a 66-year-old man was injured are in custody after what police called “an intense investigation.”
Christopher Duffy, 18, Kyle English, 20, and Christopher Pascale, 22 – all Cumberland residents – are facing a combined 17 charges, including assault on a person over 60, assault with a deadly weapon in a dwelling house, robbery, conspiracy and receiving stolen goods – a .45-caliber handgun that belonged to the owner of the home.
Pascale and English were arraigned in District Court Tuesday and are held without bail at the ACI pending a review hearing later this month. Duffy – the suspect charged with receiving the stolen gun – was scheduled for arraignment Wednesday morning.
The victim was Harvey O. Salvas, the town's former longtime building inspector and a current staff member of the Governor's Commission on Disabilities. Salvas told police he encountered three masked intruders in his house when he arrived home on the night of Feb. 23 and was injured during a violent struggle with them as they fled.
Salvas, who suffered wounds to his head and arm, told police one of the suspects was armed with a gun, another with a blade. Chief John R. Desmarais told The Call Wednesday that the gun definitely discharged during the struggle, but it still hasn't been determined whether the bullet struck Salvas. He was treated at Rhode Island Hospital for the injuries, which weren't life-threatening.
Salvas' wife was home from the beginning of the ordeal, but the intruders may not have realized it because she remained upstairs. Police said the intruders targeted the house because they were after a collection of firearms they somehow learned Salvas kept in the basement.
The bandits escaped by stealing Salvas' Jeep, which was later recovered a short distance from his home.
Desmarais said the burglars made off with six firearms, but so far police have recovered only the .45-caliber handgun. He said the police are working with the federal bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) to track down the other weapons.
“We still have five guns out there and this case will remain under investigation until we recover the five guns,” the chief said.
The chief said the police got a break in the case when they discovered one of the stolen weapons in the possession of one of the suspects. The chief would not say what initially led police to focus on the suspect, but he said further questioning of the individual led to the identification of all the participants in the home invasion conspiracy.
He said the arrests resulted mainly from the hard work of Detective Richard Quinn and, from the uniformed division, Sgt. Michael Ride and Officer Manny Nunes.
“Our detectives did a very good job investigating this with information they received from our patrol division,” said Desmarais.

WOONSOCKET — Earlier this month, Mount Saint Charles Academy’s volleyball coach, Josh...
WOONSOCKET— For Mount St. Charles first-year head coach Henry Coleman, this was one heck of...
WOONSOCKET – Three Woonsocket men appeared in Providence District Court Monday, where they were ordered held without...
WOONSOCKET – City police were reported on Sunday to have arrested three suspects in connection with a series of armed...
SCITUATE – Clad in a gray suit, a detective sits in a spartan work cubicle, his face illuminated by an eerie glow as he...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes