Skip to main content

One of three men indicted for February home invasion

June 15, 2011

CUMBERLAND – One of three suspects arrested in a violent home invasion and weapons theft on Feb. 23 has been indicted on a string of charges by a Providence County grand jury.
Christopher Duffy, 18, of Cumberland, is to be arraigned June 20 in Superior court on 10 criminal counts, including burglary; first-degree robbery; conspiracy; carrying a pistol without a license; sale of a stolen firearm; assault on a person over 60 years old resulting in serious injury; assault with a dangerous weapon in a dwelling house; discharging a firearm during a crime of violence; possession of marijuana; and driving a motor vehicle without the consent of the owner.
Duffy was arrested about two weeks after the crime with two others the police said were also participants, Christopher Pascale, 22, and Kyle English, 20, both Cumberland residents.
Amy Kempe, spokeswoman for the attorney general, said the charges against Pascale and English were dismissed recently because their cases were not brought before a grand jury quickly enough. She declined to say how state prosecutors intend to deal with them, but she said Pascale and English are still under investigation.
“The dismissal of the charges was a technical thing due to a statutory requirement to bring the case before a grand jury within a certain time frame,” she said. “The investigation is ongoing.”
At the time of their arrest, police said Duffy, Pascale and English forced their way into the 124 Overhill Road home of former town building inspector Harvey O. Salvas and escaped with a half-dozen firearms and his motor vehicle.
Salvas discovered the break when he returned home to find three masked men in his basement, at which point they allegedly assaulted the 66-year-old retiree with a rifle and a sword. Salvas suffered cuts and bruises on his arm and head in the attack.
Police said one of the men discharged a rifle during the encounter, but they were unsure whether Salvas had been grazed by a bullet or suffered some other type of trauma.
After attacking Salvas, the men allegedly fled in his 2000 Jeep Cherokee, which was abandoned nearby.
At least one of the weapons stolen from Salvas' house, a .45-caliber Springfield handgun, was recovered when Duffy was arrested.
The investigation was headed up by Detective Capt. Richard Quinn, with the assistance of Sgt. Michael Ride and Patrolman Manny Nunes. The federal bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms also assisted in the probe.

WOONSOCKET – Once again, WOON (1240 AM) is staking a claim to become the premier on-air...
The first cross-country meet of the high school season takes place on Saturday, Sept. 5 when...
When it comes to the weight events in high school track and field, particularly the hammer and...
WOONSOCKET — With construction crews and school officials scrambling to make last-minute preparations for the first day...
MILLVILLE — A loving tribute from a soldier preparing for war to his mother on the other side of the continent has come...
WOONSOCKET — The final details still need to be worked out, but it appears the 2015 edition of the city's annual...


Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes