Skip to main content

East Greenwich gridders defeat Burrillville, 13-7

September 24, 2011

Head coach Gennaro Ferraro (left) and his Burrillville High football team dropped a 13-7 decision to East Greenwich High on Saturday morning.

BURRILLVILLE — In a competitive game that went down to the wire, visiting East Greenwich held on for a 13-7 victory against host Burrillville at Alumni Field.
The Avengers trailed 7-6 in the fourth quarter before grabbing a key turnover that turned the tide in their favor. Alex Cleary came up with an interception have a Burrillville receiver failed to haul in a pass from quarterback Glen St. Pierre.
Taking over at the Burrillville 35 with 7:34 remaining, East Greenwich pieced together a drive that featured a steady diet of tailback Carney Crawford, whose two-yard score in the second quarter gave the visiting Avengers a 6-0 edge at halftime. Crawford kept the chains moving by converting twice on third down.
The decisive play came when E.G. quarterback Andrew Miner hit Carl Lebovitz on a crossing pattern from 10 yards out, the go-ahead score coming with 3:32 to play.
“We knew it was coming,” Burrillville head coach Gennaro Ferraro lamented afterwards. “It was just that the kid was late getting there.”
Burillville’s last stand ended on a sour note when St. Pierre had trouble with the exchange from center. The miscue occurred on fourth down and left the Broncos a few chain links shy of picking up the first down. All that was left for East Greenwich to do was run out the final minute, a cause that was aided tremendously by Crawford converting once again on third down.
The Broncos got on the scoreboard at 7:02 in the third quarter when St. Pierre hit Pat Scotland on a slant pattern from 39 yards out. The scoring drive saw the Broncos go for it twice on fourth down and achieve success each time.
Now working with the lead, Burrillville’s offense went right back to work after Crawford fumbled the ball on the first snap of E.G.’s ensuing possession. Taking over at the Avengers’ 36 with 6:42 left in the third, the Broncos saw the golden bid dry up after another ball went off a receiver’s hands and into the awaiting arms of an East Greenwich defender for an interception.
“When the ball hits us in the hands, we’ve got to catch it. When the quarterback takes the snap, we can’t fumble it,” Ferraro said. “We need to do the things that need to be done.”
Now 0-2 in Division III and 0-3 overall, the Broncos will look to break into the win column this Saturday at home against Lincoln High.

View more articles in:
PROVIDENCE – With a championship medal draped around his neck and a beaming smile on his...
PROVIDENCE – The two nights that finished their season short of their ultimate goal may...
Midwest Region The Midwest Regional final was held at Quickens Loan Arena this year. The undefeated...
WARWICK – The late James F. “Jim” Baron, political reporter and columnist for The Call of Woonsocket and The Times of...
WOONSOCKET – As the youngsters take their seats at computer stations in an office-like cubicle on Main Street, Arwa...
WOONSOCKET – Running enthusiast and Woonsocket police Capt. Michael Lemoine counted his father-in-law as one of the...


Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes