- Special Sections
By BRENDAN McGAIR
BOSTON - For Aaron Cook and the Red Sox, D-Day â as in Decision Day â is at hand.
With Tuesday marking May 1, the day in which Cookâs minor-league opt-out clause officially takes effect, Boston must decide whether to promote the veteran pitcher and place him on the active roster or risk losing him to free agency. Reached Monday night, Joe Bick, the agent for Cook, spelled out a step-by-step process that included all involved parties.
âThe way it reads is that if he isnât called up by May 1, then we make the decision we have to make, and they have 48 hours to respond,â Bick stated. âOnce we make a decision, itâs completely in their hands. Thereâs really nothing for us to do beyond deal with what their response is.â
For more about Cook, see Tuesday's edition.