Skip to main content

Careless use of fireworks causes house fire

June 8, 2012

WOONSOCKET – A two-alarm fire that displaced four residents in a two-family at 24 Knight St. early Thursday morning was caused by the careless use of fireworks.
Lt. Scott Popovich of the Woonsocket Fire Department’s Fire Prevention Bureau said the fireworks were legally purchased at a retail store.
Investigators for the WFD determined that the fire started in a pile of debris in the yard behind the house. The fire eventually crept toward the house, scorching the rear facade and the roof, Popovich said.
The fire will be classified as accidental in nature.
Popovich declined to describe the type of fireworks involved. But he said the person who bought them lives in the house and was shooting them off for about 20 minutes before firefighters were dispatched to put out the fire, at 2:23 a.m.
Popovich said the episode underscores the dangers of using fireworks, which have become easily available since their legalization about two years ago. The incident should serve as a warning to others, particularly as July 4th approaches.
The fire was quickly extinguished after firefighters arrived. Most of the damage was confined to the exterior of the house, said Popovich, but the occupants were not allowed to re-enter, mainly because the roof of the structure had been compromised.
The Red Cross was on the scene to offer emergency housing assistance to the tenants, Popovich said.
City records say the house is owned by the Federal National Mortgage Association.

PAWTUCKET – Ten years have gone by since Thomas “The Souljah” Falowo first...
CUMBERLAND – Following the blueprint that has churned out plenty of athletic success in recent...
PAWTUCKET -- PawSox shortstop Deven Marrero swears by a motto that proves quite handy whenever he’s...
WOONSOCKET – The line of people, some disheveled and weary-looking, formed behind a red pickup truck that backed into a...
WOONSOCKET – After a rocky political fight that goes back months, a new era of full-day kindergarten got off to a...
WOONSOCKET – Feeding the poor: They call it God’s work at The River United Methodist Church on Federal Street. They’ve...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes