Skip to main content

Judge balks at Blue Cross deal

September 12, 2012

PROVIDENCE — An agreement to bring Landmark Medical Center back into Blue Cross/Blue Shield’s coverage network yesterday failed to win the blessing of a Superior Court judge who said he’s concerned it may not do enough to save the hospital or get it sold.
Associate Superior Court Judge Michael Silverstein said he would decide whether to approve the proposed agreement between Landmark and Blue Cross no later than Tuesday.
In the meantime, Silverstein urged all the parties, including Steward Health Care, to modify their positions with an eye toward preserving a crucial provider of health care and jobs in northern Rhode Island.
“The court believes it must satisfy itself that the hospital will be able to continue” and that the agreement will not adversely affect the contemplated purchase of the hospital — “if not by Steward, then by someone else,” Silverstein said.

Read more in our print edition.

PAWTUCKET – The Pawtucket Red Sox will vie for their second Governors’ Cup crown in...
PAWTUCKET – Four consecutive trips to the second-season derby known as the Governors...
PAWTUCKET – Ten years have gone by since Thomas “The Souljah” Falowo first...
WOONSOCKET – What started out as a lover’s quarrel morphed into a foot chase and a wrestling match before it ended with...
WOONSOCKET – After the Budget Commission got a rancorous lecture from Mayor Lisa Baldelli-Hunt last week about...
WOONSOCKET – The United Veterans Council has announced that Lt. Gen. Reginald Centracchio, adjudant general...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes