PROVIDENCE â€” The planned release of a Woonsocket man imprisoned for a 1999 "thrill killing" has been put on hold while the Rhode Island Parole Board revisits the case.
The board approved a plan earlier this year to release Alfred Brissette Jr. more than 20 years before his original release date. Brissette pleaded no contest to murder for killing Jeanette Descoteaux and was sentenced to serve 35 years in prison.
His release gained attention after WPRI-TV reported this week that he was due to be released next month.
Board Administrator Matt Degnan said Wednesday that part of Brissette's release plan fell through. He would not give details.
He said on Dec. 17 the board would discuss the plan, hear from Brissette and make a decision on what to do.