Skip to main content

Town eyeing school safety measures

December 29, 2012

BURRILLVILLE — School Supt. Frank Pallotta has set up a special assessment team to evaluate existing school safety measures and review ideas and proposals to improve school safety.
In the meantime, until that team reports its findings, police patrol officers will have a presence in all of the schools on a daily basis, town officials said Friday.
The announcement comes two weeks after the Dec. 14 tragedy at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, where a guman killed his mother before opening fire at the school, killing 20 children and six adults.
"We want to inform students, parents and school employees of our change in practice and to emphasize that there is no reason to be concerned," said Town Manager and Public Safety Director Michael C. Wood. "This action is precautionary in nature and not a response to any questionable information or threat."
Wood said the normal outlet to report potential problems and/or concerns is the school’s juvenile officer, Detective Jason Cahill, who can be reached at 401-568-6255 or by email at reportit@burrillville.org.
This latest decision to bolster police presence in all of the schools on a daily basis comes 10 months after the Town Council and School Department agreed to assign a beat officer to the schools when availability and manpower allows. That decision was made following calls for action by parents, teachers and members of the Burrillville Anti-Bullying Task Force, which urged the council to consider reinstating a full-time school resource officer in the schools.

Read more in Sunday's print edition.

PROVIDENCE – Kris Dunn did everything short of taking the tickets and selling the popcorn...
BURRILLVILLE – When Burrillville High quarterback Isaiah DeSilva helped his team cap an...
CUMBERLAND — As a history teacher at Cumberland High School, Andy Tuetken has seen...
WOONSOCKET – The two animal control officers who had been placed on administrative leave earlier this month amid...
With the Blizzard of 2015 headed out to sea, the clouds gave way to partial sun just after 9:30 Wednesday morning, a...
PROVIDENCE – With the Blizzard of 2015 shaping as one of the most damaging on record, Gov. Gina Raimondo on Monday...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes