CUMBERLAND - The School Committee will meet Thursday to discuss the designation of funds to match a federal COPS Secure Our Schools grant.
The Cumerland Police Department was awarded an $82,111 SOS grant in September, to be used for enhancing school safety practices including funding programs and continuation of existing programs that help prevent school violence.
The grant award period is from September 2010 through August 31, 2012.
This year, up to $13 million in SOS funding was made available to help schools with a demonstrated need for both improved security and financial assistance to address growing safety concerns. Grantees are required to contribute a local cash match of 50 percent toward the total cost of the approved grant project.
In other business, the committee will:
* Hear a presentation on "Assessment, Traditional Concepts & Current Best Practice Approaches."
* Discuss the Fiscal Year 2012 budget.
* Hear a transportation update by Durham School Services.
* Discuss and or approve a contract award for a school communications system.
* Discuss and or vote on a purchase contract for medical and athletic supplies.
* Discuss or vote to designate funds for capital improvements.
The committee meets at 7:30 p.m. in the Cumberland High School auditorium, 2600 Mendon Road.