The unknown variable pertaining to the 30-team boys’ basketball open state tournament is a mystery no more.
On Thursday the Interscholastic League released where the corresponding regions will be heading for the Round of 16 should they safely navigate out of this weekend’s first-round slate of games. The North region will dock at CCRI-Warwick next Tuesday; the South region will play out at Bryant University next Tuesday; the East region heads to Bryant University next Wednesday; the West region is set for next Wednesday at CCRI-Warwick.
Two games will take place at each venue on both nights. Scheduled start times are 6 p.m. and 8 o’clock.
Here’s a quick sketch at what’s in store for the area’s playoff participants should they live to see beyond this weekend:
– St. Raphael (No. 4 seed, East). A matchup with the winner of Classical-Smithfield will take place next Wednesday (8 p.m.) at Bryant should the Saints get past No. 29 seed Narragansett Friday night.
– Cumberland (No. 17 seed, North). A matchup with the No. 1 overall seed North Kingstown will take place next Tuesday (6 p.m.) at CCRI-Warwick should the Clippers get past No. 16 seed Toll Gate Friday night.
– North Smithfield (No. 26 seed, South). A matchup with the winner of Prout-Exeter/West Greenwich will take place next Tuesday (6 p.m.) at Bryant University should the Northmen get past No. 7 seed North Providence Friday night.
– Tolman (No. 27 seed, West). A matchup with the winner of Mt. Pleasant-Tiverton will take place next Wednesday (6 p.m.) at CCRI-Warwick should the Tigers get past No. 6 seed Bishop Hendricken Saturday night.
– Central Falls (No. 28 seed, East). A matchup with the survivor of Westerly-Barrington will take place next Wednesday (6 p.m.) at Bryant should get past No. 5 seed Central this Monday night at the Providence Career & Technical Academy field house.
The two teams standing in each region will meet Sunday, March 4 at Providence College’s Alumni Hall. Those times have yet to be announced. The state semifinals are set for Friday, March 4 (Game times are 6 & 8 p.m.) with the championship game set for the following night at 7:30. The Final Four and all-deciding tilt will take place at URI’s Ryan Center.